BSU brings a soulful social

In the Grand Maple Ballroom of the Davis Center on Saturday, Oct. 2, students, families and friends gathered for the Black Student Union’s (BSU) signature annual event: the Soul Food Social. Every year, the Soul Food Social is held on homecoming weekend. It is meant to essentially provide good food, entertainment and an enjoyable setting, BSU President Nicole Constantine said. It is the prime time during the year for students who do not know what BSU is or what they do, she said. The Soul Food Social is an introductory event to new students not only of color but to everyone else as well. “I thought it was a great experience because it is one of the events on campus where there is a lot of exposure to a different kind of culture in a predominantly white university; it felt like I clicked in,” sophomore Tracy Ebalu said. The event began with Constantine saying a few words of welcome. First year Hilory Thomas then sang “Lift Every Voice and Sing” — considered the black national anthem — and received a standing ovation. After Thomas’ performance, Assistant Director for Campus Programs Tamara Plummer spoke about enjoying locally made food with friends and family despite the different setting from home. Guests were then ushered to the Livak Ballroom, where volunteers prepared and served food. “I really enjoyed the food. It’s different from what I usually eat up here; it reminds me of home,” sophomore Christopher Cardona said after finishing his plate of pastelitos and sweet and sour chicken. After dinner that night the Urban Flava Step Team and the Catamount Dance Crew performed and received long applause. “The Soul Food Social really did provide good food, friends and fun,” sophomore Nathaniel Hobson said.