Buff up your gym tactics

Are you new to UVM, or just new to working out at UVMs fitness center? Well, the Gucciardi Fitness and Recreation center is available to all UVM students.

Your UVM ID will grant you access to the weight room, resistance machinery, cardio equipment and indoor track.

As a returnee or newcomer to the fitness center, you may find it frustratingly busy at certain times of the day. I can tell you from experience that 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. is a time of peak traffic, and that lunchtime is also quite busy.

First and foremost, I think it is essential to have your workout routine planned before you arrive at the gym. As a beginner it may be difficult to have in mind exactly what equipment you intend on using, but the better the idea of what you plan on doing, the smoother things will go.

People who come in to work out without a clear idea of what they are going to do end up looking around, seeing most of the equipment in use and quickly becoming discouraged.

If you know what you intend to do, you can hone in on that piece of equipment. If you plan to use a cardio machine, you will have to sign up on one of the boards. But if the machines are in use, there is always plenty of room to run on the track.

If you want to work in the weight room or on a piece of resistance machinery and what you need is being used, simply ask to work in with the person using it. If they are doing supersets, ask how many sets they have left, and you should be next in line when it becomes free.

The thing about lifting weights and using resistance machinery is that the equipment you want to use is almost always in use at any given point in time, but due to the nature of that kind of exercise, the equipment is never in use for too long.

Exercise will keep you healthy both physically and mentally, so do not let a frustrating experience at the fitness center deter you.

The hours of operation for the fitness center during the academic year are as follows: Monday through Thursday 6 a.m. to midnight; Friday 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Saturday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.; and Sunday 10 a.m. to midnight.