Burlington ranked top college town

Among all the college towns in the country, Travel and Leisure Magazine nominated Burlington, Vermont as number one. 

The magazine’s website has numerous polls that rank the top cities to visit and has gained attention for their “most-desired” destination lists. 

In their annual World’s Best Awards survey, readers selected the University of Vermont as home to the country’s best college town. 

What makes Burlington such a special college town? Some locals will say the appeal of a lakeside city draws in such a broad assortment of characters. 

“It’s just the best,” junior Kellen Van Nostrand said. “There’s no place I would rather be.” 

Burlington brings in a mix of people that make tourists feel right at home. 

This small city attracts outdoorsy folks, health junkies, organic food lovers and music enthusiasts. 

From hippies to businessmen and everything in between. 

Besides the atmosphere, Burlington attracts many prospective college students.

Apart from UVM, Burlington holds various colleges such as Champlain College and Burlington Community College, making it a hot spot for college students to socialize and be involved in  the community. 

When visiting Burlington, the first place to check out would be Church Street, a brick walking path filled with dozens of stores, local Vermont eateries and outdoor music. 

Locals place importance on serving fresh “farm to table” food that is locally grown in Vermont. 

“We have the best, best food,” junior Sarah Spevak said. “And the music scene is unreal!” 

For those who are 21, the nightlife in Burlington, especially in the summer, is always busy downtown. Many of the bars are filled with students dancing to outdoor local jazz and jam bands. 

When the weather is not sub-zero, a true Burlington local can be found at North Beach, a sandy shore on Lake Champlain with stunning views of the Adirondaks and the lake. 

If some are feeling adventurous, they can hit up red rocks or many of the other cliff jumping sites where people can jump either 30, 50 or 70 feet into Lake Champlain. It’s only a short 20 minute drive from North Beach. 

When winter comes, locals place an emphasis on embracing the cold by hitting the slopes. 

Dozens of mountain ranges are a short drive away to get a ski or snowboard fix or even to relax in the mountain resorts that attract ski and snowboard enthusiasts from all over the nation. 

The greater Burlington area holds tourist attractions that appeal to families. 

The Ben and Jerry’s factory takes guests on a tour of how the ice cream is made and gives a free taste of a new flavor. 

In autumn, the spirit of Vermont is shown in the foliage. Cider mill tours, apple and pumpkin picking and hayrides are all common attractions.

Hiking Vermont’s numerous mountain ranges, state parks and berry orchards are other attractions that are accessible at little or no cost. 

“People all over the world travel to see what has always been right in my backyard. I wouldn’t have it any other way,” senior Alia Barbano-George said.