Campus suits-up for the 2015 Halloween weekend

With the Halloween weekend approaching, students and campus organizations are preparing for the festivities.

Students like junior Erin Mahoney use the weekend as an opportunity to go out more.

“I plan on going to a party at my friend’s house,” Mahoney said. “I’m going to be a ‘pink lady’ from Grease.”

Mahoney is choosing not to go to any school hosted events, but will be going to various parties throughout the weekend, she said.

Many students said they are excited about their costumes.

“I’ll probably go as something topical,” sophomore Connor Skehan said. “[I’ll] probably make fun of Donald Trump somehow.”

Some students have put a lot of thought into their costumes.

“I’ve been contemplating my Halloween attire for about two weeks now,” junior Mara Carini said. “I plan on being a lady bug one night, a squirrel another, a beer maiden the next, and possibly Yoshi if I can manage it all.”

As students prepare for the festivities, so are campus organizations.

“Jason [the SGA president] will be sending out an email to the student body regarding safety on Halloween,” said junior Tyler Davis, SGA vice president and Town-Gown Committee student representative.

The Town-Gown Committee works to bring UVM students and town officials together to discuss issues including noise, crime and housing, Davis said.

The Committee on Diversity, Equity & Environmental Ethics will be sending out an email regarding cultural appropriation through costumes and social justice, Davis said.

Cultural appropriation “is taking ancient, religious traditions and making them recreational,” according to Uloop. com.

The fraternity and sorority community usually sends out a similar email with information about cultural appropriation and high risk drinking weekends.

“SGA will also be hosting a [town] clean-up, the following weekend as a retrospective way to manage impact,” Davis said.

“We do it every year and the residents love it,” he said. “It’s a great opportunity to make an impact in the community and show a softer side of students to residents, to prove to them that we too care about where we live.”