Company focuses on buying local

MARISA ROSENTHAL The Vermont Cynic  David White, owner of Localvore, discusses his plans and goals for the local company, in his office Nov. 3. Localvore supports local merchants by providing discounts and various digital marketing tools.MARISA ROSENTHAL The Vermont Cynic
David White, owner of Localvore, discusses his plans and goals for the local company, in his office Nov. 3. Localvore supports local merchants by providing discounts and various digital marketing tools.

A web service offers local business and restaurant deals that can buy more than just Ramen noodles for students on a budget. Localvore Today is a local company “committed to growing local businesses and introducing customers to the best experiences their local economies have to offer,” according to their Facebook page.

Localvore founder, Dan White, seeks to strengthen local business affordably for Vermonters and students alike through online coupons that offer discounted meals, health and spa vouchers, and other local services, he said. For some college students, going out and also keeping track of funds can be financially challenging.

“[Staying on] budget is a huge thing [in college]. Most people have to have jobs or work study,” sophomore Sanders Jurgelewicz said.

A typical Localvore deal may be something like this: paying $8 for $16 worth of bagels. But even when coupons are available, some students are wary of spending more than what they budgeted for.

“If I find a coupon, I wouldn’t normally go out of my way to use it because I would still spend more money,” Jurgelwicz said.

White explained that his site offers more than just “finding deals and discounts.”

“The brand of Vermont [local businesses] is associated with good craft, artisan and quality,” he esaid.

“And you don’t have to spend a ton of money to try something new and local,” White said.

Off-campus students, like senior Casey Short, look for opportunities to save at local restaurants that they already frequent, she said.

“I’m excited [about Localvore] because going out I spend over $20, including drinks since I’m 21,” Short said. “If I pay $15 and get $30 [value] I’m down with that.”

Past restaurants featured on Localvore’s website included The Stowe Inn, Red Onion and Revolution Kitchen, according to the website.

“Twenty-five percent of the Vermont economy is small businesses, and most of them are local,” White said.

“It’s our mission. If we collectively spend in Vermont [we can] change buying patterns to support the local economy,” he said.

Localvore members can search through different deals under categories like fun and games, food and farm, health and happiness, art and culture, and home and lifestyle.

Members can also recieve daily emails with offers from the “best businesses” in the community, according to the Facebook page.

Besides keeping its products real and authentic on a budget, Localvore also provides jobs for students, White said. Since its start in 2012, he said he anticipates Localvore to continue to grow and “hire hundreds of local people” in the future.

“We are growing a company, and it’s the perfect place for college students and entry level jobs,” White said. “Why not stick around?”