Dancing through the night for a cause

Students danced into the night Feb. 20 as part of the annual Rallython event.

After a year-long fundraiser, UVM greek life partnered with the Children’s Miracle Network to host the 12- hour dance marathon.

The event took place from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. in the Maple Ballroom in the Davis Center.

“To see it all come together is amazing,” junior  Claire Giampetroni said.

All of this year’s funds will go to the Children’s Hospital at the UVM Medical Center, sophomore Claire Schwaegler said in a Feb. 11 issue of the Cynic.

“It’s nice to see everyone coming together for a good cause,” said sophomore Gaelyn Sullivan, chair of marketing for the event.

Junior and Rallython board member Madison McKinley said Rallython has currently raised over $32,000.

“All in all, I think it was very successful,” McKinley said. “I feel like we truly did an amazing job as a team to pull it all together,” she said.

When asked about dancing for 12 hours, sophomore Hannah Schaefer said, “You give yourself energy from all the other people in the room.”

During the halfway mark, there was a ceremony commemorating all of the children who have been affected by illness.

The Children’s Miracle Network names a champion every year to represent the millions of kids being treated, according to their website.

Danielle Morris, last year’s champion, spoke during the event and voiced her appreciation for all of the work the Children’s Miracle Network has done for her and other children.

Morris was joined by this year’s champion, eight-year old Noah.

There was also a fifteen minute silence for all those affected, lost and benefiting from the treatments.

As for the future of the dance marathon, McKinley said there will be another Rallython next year.

“We are already planning it for even more success,” she said. “Our hopes are to make this a tradition at UVM for years and years to come.”

Rallythons are held across the country each year and this year, $2.9 million was raised over the weekend for the Children’s Miracle Network, according to a post on the UVM Rallython Facebook page.