DJ plays beats fresher than peaches

Senior Julia Petras, known to WRUV listeners as DJ Peaches, is bubbly, easy to talk to and listens to more genres of music than you probably even know existed, including fusion, international fusion, ambient, post-rock and RPM (which pretty much encompasses all subgenres of electronic). For music youve probably never heard of, tune into her show on WRUV 90.1 every Tuesday from 4-6 p.m. that she calls The Ripest Pick.

Cynic: How would you describe your show?

DJ Peaches: Its evolved over the years. My music style has changed. Freshman year I was really into urban and hip-hop music, and that was basically what dominated my show. Now I include less urban, more international, more RPM and electronic and a lot of fusion-international genres.

Cynic: Is there anything youre trying to accomplish with each show?

DJ Peaches: You know when you listen to that song and youre like Oh my god, that made my day, thats just channeling what I feel today? I guess Im trying to do that with my showIm trying to share this music that I enjoy and connect with on that level, and Im hoping that it does the same for them.

Cynic: A number of WRUV DJs have gone on to work in the music and entertainment industries. Is this something you could see yourself doing in the future?

DJ Peaches: Im going to be graduating, and Ill be a nurse in a couple months, so thats sort of the track that Im going down, but I would love to have some sort of relationship with radio. I cant imagine giving it up.

Cynic: Last and most difficult question: If you could only listen to three artists for the rest of your life, who would they be?

DJ Peaches: Hard question! Top of my headRadiohead is always good, and Sigur Ros as well, just because you can listen to that in the background during everything you do. Then maybe Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, just to give you a little bit of amp in your step. Thats just a rough outline!