Filed under Life

Easy fixes for your growing pile of produce

It’s week five of Intervale Food Hub’s fall season and if you’re anything like me, you have a growing pile of shallots, carrots, peppers and apples sitting on your kitchen table with no idea what to do with them.

These fresh ingredients are coming so fast it can be hard to keep up. But let me help you.

Peppers: slice the peppers up and freeze them. These are perfect to throw in a pan when you’re making an omelette or a stir-fry and they will last in the freezer for a while.

Shallots: use them in place of onions. Most recipes call for at least some onion, and shallots have a very similar flavor.

Carrots: a perfect snack. Grab some peanut butter or ranch dressing and get dipping!

Apples: apples are also a great snack that are very versatile. Try chopping them up and adding them to oatmeal or serve them up as a sweet treat with some peanut butter and chocolate chips.

You could also make a classic apple crisp with a kit from your grocery store.

Kale: kale tends to hold up a bit longer than a lot of other greens, but if you don’t plan on using it for a while, you can also chop it up and put it in the freezer.

I like to add it to smoothies or sometimes, if i’m feeling really ambitious, I toss it with olive oil, salt and pepper and bake it at 350 for 10-15 minutes for delicious kale chips.