Eating slow, cooking cheap

On Sept. 17, Slow Food USA, a national nonprofit organization that promotes good, clean and fair food, motivated people to prepare a home cooked meal for no more than $5 per person. Slow food, opposed to fast food, is good for those who eat it, good for the farmers and workers who grow and harvest it, and good for our planet and it’s natural resources. “This challenge is about taking back the ‘value meal,'” president of Slow Food USA Josh Viertel said in a recent press release. The event highlighted the many difficulties people face trying to feed themselves and their family nutritious and sustainable food. The growing cost of fruits and vegetables paired with the diminishing price of soda and junk food may be the greatest contributor to the issue. This $5 challenge provides people with the opportunity to come together, cook a homemade meal and discuss the flaws within our food system. To get involved locally, Grow Team ONE, a community organization developing leadership through gardening in Burlington’s Old North End, hosted a harvest potluck dinner on Sept. 17 from 5:30-7:30 p.m. at the Chittenden Food Shelf. Grow Team ONE said that the potluck was a success. “We were so pleased to partner with Slow Food VT for this fun community event” Grow Team ONE steering committee member Jess Hyman said. “This type of potluck is really important because it brings people together through food while allowing us to play an active role in strengthening our local food system.”