Egg-cellent news

Previous thoughts on cholesterol may be about to change with the pending publication of the 2015 Dietary Guidelines by the United States Department of Agriculture.

It was previously thought that the intake of high cholesterol foods like eggs, meats and full-fat dairy products should be closely monitored.

Now, the USDA has decided cholesterol is “not considered a nutrient of concern for over consumption,” according to heath.gov.

Cholesterol is a natural substance that is made in the body and received from diet. Twenty percent of the cholesterol in the body comes from diet.

The rest is produced by the liver and when high levels appear in the body, plaque forms. Plaque can cause blockages of blood flow which can lead to heart attack and stroke.

When the 2010 Dietary Guidelines were published, cholesterol was placed in the “foods and food components to reduce” category and consumption was capped at less than 300 milligrams per day, the equivalent of one egg.

This thinking caused people all over America to cut back on this previously popular breakfast food.

But the cholesterol in eggs is mostly HDL or “good” cholesterol that removes LDL, the “bad” cholesterol.

“There are much bigger problems in the American diet than cholesterol” and there is no “data to suggest that it should be at the top of people’s worries,” said Drew Ramsey, assistant clinical professor of psychiatry at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons.

Exact recommendations are yet to be revealed, but our thinking on cholesterol needs to be changed.

Until then, don’t worry about eating at least one egg a day if it is paired with a balanced, healthy diet.