Feel good movies

Julia Moreno

When selecting a movie to watch on the upcoming ÒholidayÓ that occurs annually on April 20th, maybe you donÕt have the foggiest idea. Wait for itÉ it will come to you. If not, hereÕs a list of the top 10 movies (in no particular order) for when youÕre feeling groovy, hand-selected by film majors and lovers.

1. Wristcutters, A Love Story (2006)

DonÕt be fooled by the serious title, this movie is completely feel-good. When Zia commits suicide, he finds himself in a strange, surreal world where nobody can smile or see the stars. When he hears his ex-girlfriend, for whom he committed the act, has also killed herself, he sets off to find her. This movie will have you thinking about the meaning of life and death in a seriously trippy way.

2. Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory (1971)

This may seem like an obvious tip, but believe me when I say BRING CANDY. This trip into a crazy candy wonderland is just what youÕll need on April 20th, for the lull in activity. Curl up with some jelly beans, chocolate, and candy buttons, and revel in the fact that Òthe snozberries taste like snozberries!Ó BEWARE: The tunnel scene might just be more than you can take. (The actors themselves didnÕt even know what was going to happen when it was filmed.)

3. Pineapple Express (2008)

Ah, the mandatory Judd Apatow movie. Dale and his dealer, Saul, run away from angry druglord, Ted, smoking all the way. Pineapple express knows just what to say, ÒI feel like a, like a slice of butter… melting on top of a big ole pile of flapjacksÓ, and your state of being will probably enhance the ÒconnectionÓ you feel to the main characters.

4. Jurassic Park (1993)

If you want intense, dinosaur-filled thrills, or a laugh at special effects, Jurassic Park is a must. Made around the time some of us were born, it is based on the beloved premise of Òwhat if we could bring dinosaurs back to the Earth by using mosquito DNA?Ó Honestly, just watch Jeff Goldblum, and maybe appreciate the line in #3 on the list, ÒYour Jeff Goldblum impression made me pee my pants.Ó ÒI wish.Ó (Also, itÕs currently in 3D in theaters!!)

5. Any Harry Potter movie (2001-2011)

ItÕs a no-brainer. Unlock the secrets of Harry Potter, like when the students eat candy that make you produce animal noises in Prisoner of Azkaban (recreational drugs?), or the fact that Filch cheers for Slytherin during Quidditch, or how, in the end of the Goblet of fire it says ÒNo dragons were hurt in the filming of this movieÓ. Harry PotterÕs sense of humor might be just what you need, but the visuals definitely are.

6. Children of Men (2006)

For a scary, almost way-too-intense movie, Children of Men is ideal. The movie paints a picture of what a realistic future would be like if all women suddenly became infertile. When our leading man, Theo, starts helping a young woman immigrate to England, he finds that she has a secret, and suddenly the world isnÕt so hopeless anymore. Beware the intensity. Not for the faint of heart.

7. Dazed and Confused (1993)

In order to watch this movie you have to be dazed and confused. Being in that state of mind will allow you to experience this movie to its fullest. But the smoking is only the obvious part of this movie in addition to a delightful coming of age story and lots of laughter.

8. Back to the Future (1985)

If it werenÕt for the Doc and going back in time, Michael J. Fox would have never been born. Back to the Future plays around with the question ÒWhat were my parents like when they were my age?Ó Sit back and relax, while you enjoy this fun, cheesy but classic movie about time travel and identity.

9. Alice in Wonderland (2010)

Let yourself fall down the rabbit hole into the bizarre, jarring world of the Madhatter, a rabbit who canÕt be late, two queens, a jabberwocky and crazy, colorful visuals. Notice how the characters reflect people she knows in real life, much like in the Wizard of Oz. Though it was never confirmed that Lewis Carroll used drugs, it was widely rumored, and itÕs clear that director Tim Burton strives to emulate the picture Carroll put forth for us.

10. Triplets of Belleville (2003)

The visuals alone are enough to alter your state of mind. This movie was nominated for over 20 awards, and with good reason. If youÕre looking for an animated movie to propel your mind into thought, this is the one. The film centers on a boy, his mother and his dog in France and the animation is almost too much to handle. This is a must-see for movie lovers and ganja lovers.

Ê

BONUS: View the music video ÒLet GoÓ by Stuck in the Sound. The story will have you seeing stars.