First-years talk holidays

RENA MEISLER The Vermont Cynic  First-year students Jessica Wolfe (left) and Kaylee Ellis discuss classes and Thanksgiving plans in their Jeanne Mance Hall room Nov. 4.

RENA MEISLER The Vermont Cynic
First-year students Jessica Wolfe (left) and Kaylee Ellis discuss classes and Thanksgiving plans in their Jeanne Mance Hall room Nov. 4.

As we enter our third month of the school year, it’s time for the Cynic to catch back up with first-years Kaylee Ellis and Jessica Wolfe and see how they are doing  at UVM. Midterms are in full swing, but the excitement of Halloween weekend and going home for holiday breaks were on our students’ minds.

“For Halloween, I was a fox one night then a schoolgirl another night,” Ellis said. “I had a great time, it wasn’t the worst Halloween ever.”

Wolfe also had several costumes for the “halloweekend.”

“On the Thursday before [Halloween] I dressed up as Superman, then as Cleopatra the next night,” Wolfe said. “We went to some fun parties, then went back to the dorm to hang out with everyone.”

Ellis and Wolfe both said that the Jeanne Mance community has since become much tighter and expect the bonding to continue, as the weather gets colder.

“I’m looking forward to going home for break though, I haven’t been home since I came here,” Wolfe said. “I’m excited to see my friends and eat home-cooked food. It’ll feel weird, but exciting.”

Ellis said she has already been home once since coming to school, but is excited to see more of her friends and family.

“It’ll be nice to be at home, but at the same time, I’m also going to miss school and all my friends here,” Ellis said.

When asked how midterms went, both said that neither of their classes had intense midterm schedules.

“I only had one midterm, but it was a fill in the blank test. All I have left is a paper to write, a project, and two more exams before finals,” Wolfe said.

Ellis said she has two more exams and a paper. While the two first-years seem to be adjusting to the college life, let’s see what happens when the frigid temperatures hit campus.