Five dollar burger sizzles up

Incase you have been living under a rock for the past two years, every Wednesday is $5 burger day at Ri-Ra Irish Pub on Church Street.

Even better, itÕs half price burger night, which sounds like a great deal to a broke college kid like myself.

I donÕt know about you, but Wednesdays are busier than Main Street traffic.

I get out of class around 6 and usually have an evening of homework to look forward to.

ItÕs nice to know that on my most hectic day, thereÕs a place to get dinner for cheap.

Just a little before 6 p.m. my friends and I arrived in the middle of the dinner rush.

IÕm not sure if the early popularity was a result of $5 burgers in a college town, but business was booming.

Inside there was a bar, booths, live music and crowds of happy people. Yet when the menu arrived at my table, I was presented with the continuous challenge of finding something vegetarian.

While the regular menu had a few vegetarian options, the burger menu had only one vegetarian offering, a white-bean burger made in house with goat cheese and sundried tomato pesto.

It sounded good and observed the $5 guarantee. Naturally, I ordered it.

I was not disappointed. While the burger itself was a little dry, the sundried tomato pesto and goat cheese were delicious.

Ultimately, what I found was a pleasant surprise.

My two dinner companions were similarly happy with their burgers.

Some of you may relate with my bacon-loving friend who ordered the pub burger which includes bacon and blue cheese.

My other friend was less enthused about her Guinness BBQ burger at first. ÒWhy would you have two onions?Ó she wondered as she picked fried onion rings off caramelized onions sitting atop her burger.

Yet once the mess of onion was taken care of, the burger met her approval.

The burgers themselves were tasty and their company was just as good.

Each of our meals came with crispy fries and a homemade pickle.

I have a soft spot for dill pickles and have attempted to make my own, so I really appreciate a place that will invest their efforts in good pickles.

The burgers were huge and filling and I took half of mine home with me.

Reheated anything is never as good as the first time around, but the next day I was glad to have left over burger and fries for lunch.

On Wednesday nights at $5 a burger, you really are getting your moneyÕs worth.

Ê

Ri-RaÕs Irish Pub is located at 123 Church St. Burger Night hours are from 11:30 a.m. to 11 p.m.