Filed under Campus Life, Life

Fund for student life seemingly unknown by students

The Inter-Residents Association Student Union has part of their budget dedicated to improving student life. The only problem is that not enough students are aware of this, said junior Natalia Korpanty, IRA president.

“What do they do with it?” junior Abigail Howlett said. “I didn’t know it existed.”  

IRA student Fund PHOTO BY MEGHAN EGAN

IRA student Fund PHOTO BY MEGHAN EGAN

The IRA is an on-campus student group that represents students who are living in residence halls at UVM.  The organization works to improve of the quality of life for students at UVM, according to the IRA website. A large section of their budget is used for SGA-affiliated clubs, Residential Adviser income for smaller events, and various other student associations, Korpanty said.

The IRA also donates funding toward students living off-campus through the Office of Student and Community Relations. OSCR provides resources as well as support for students who live off-campus, according to the UVM website.

Korpanty said every student living on-campus is automatically a member upon enrolling at UVM. “The fee is included in tuition and that money goes directly toward [the] hall council within their residence hall,” she said. The only problem is not enough students are aware of this huge potential benefit, Korpanty said.

Korpanty and vice president Katie Pfefferle said they also use IRA funding to hold a variety of on-campus events, such as educational programming, De-stress week in collaboration with LivingWell and food festivals.

IRA student Fund PHOTO BY MEGHAN EGAN

IRA student Fund PHOTO BY MEGHAN EGAN

“We are always looking to help students in any way that we can and are always here for support,” said Pfefferle. “Our office in Wing 150 is always open. We also have an equipment room with a popcorn machine, cotton candy maker, office supplies, anything you want,” she said.

Pfefferle and Korpanty plan to spread awareness about student funding by holding Town Meetings, which are open to all students at Brennan’s.  “It’ll be a good way for students to put in a personal invoice on what they want IRA to do and what they would like to see happening on-campus,” Pfefferle said.

Organizations can request funding online through the IRA website, according to the organization’s website.