Gear up for colder weather with these seasonal essentials

Libby Camp, Staff Writer

Though the Princeton Review ranks UVM as one of the top-10 greenest universities in the country, campus is looking pretty white this season.

The city of Burlington received a total of 20 inches of snow in the one month students were gone and had an average temperature of 19 degrees, according to Weather Underground.

And in weather like this, there are a few necessities.

Here’s a list of winter must-haves, all of which can be purchased at stores in the Burlington area.

Patagonia: Nano Air

Jacket $249

If there’s one item to invest in, it’s a good winter jacket.

Since 1972, Patagonia has been selling clothes for climbers and lovers of the outdoors, and this is their top-rated jacket, according to their website. Its polyester insulation is warm, stretchy  and breathable.

The company’s mission states that they use strictly organic cotton and donate 1 percent of their profits to grassroots environmental groups around the world.

L.L. Bean: 8î Bean Boots $129

Bean boots are a staple of winter wear, and to be frank, of UVM fashion. Many students sport the classic lace-up boot, and in the fall they can score exclusive deals when L.L. Bean’s boot-shaped van visits campus.

Their water-resistant leather keeps toes dry, and the chain-tread soles give great grip when trudging those unplowed shortcuts on campus. The triple-stitched seams ensure durability. There’s a reason so many brands try to imitate this iconic shoe.

Davidís Tea: Nordic Mug $23

What better way to stay warm than a steaming cup of tea, coffee or cocoa? David’s Tea has built the perfect mug that includes an infuser and a lid. It holds 16 ounces of a hot beverage of your choice and the handle makes it easy to carry to class. The mug comes in 10 colors and is sure to warm you up.

Sox Market: Worldís Softest Crew Socks $7.99

Socks are not only the perfect way to keep toes toasty, they can also be fun and fashionable.

Sox Market offers cloud-soft crew socks for men and women in 18 different colors with a reinforced heel and seamless toe for extra comfort. Try peeking a pair of these out of the top of your boots.