Grab a mat and keep your pj’s on, it’s time for home yoga

Courtesy of yogawithadriene.com

Courtesy of yogawithadriene.com

Anna Power, Staff Writer

Getting to a yoga class can be difficult. It costs money, it’s far away and classes are limited to specific times.

One alternative to studio classes is practicing at home.

Senior Haley Creamer, a neuroscience major and yoga teacher, finds yoga helps her interdisciplinary learning, she said.

“I do yoga because it’s something that always brings me back to a place of groundedness,” she said.

A bachelor’s degree in neuroscience requires plenty of biology, chemistry and psychology courses, so students like Creamer find yoga to be a good way to apply their bodily knowledge and just relax, she said.

“I got into it because I have a love for the complex beauty of the human body,” she said. “The more I learn about the brain and the body, the more I can learn about this connection that they have.”

Creamer said she enjoys going to classes to learn new things, but being at home is most comfortable.

“At a studio you feel more that you have to do this exact thing that the teacher is saying,” she said. “But when I’m at home I can play with how I’m breathing, how I’m moving and how I’m experiencing my body.”

Yoga at home not only allows for the development of an individual style, it is also a way to eliminate distractions and break free of judgement.

“Nowadays, yoga studios are filled with women (and men) sporting the latest yogi fashion. One major benefit of practicing at home is being free from the material distraction of those around you,” the Art of Living website states.

A class can sometimes feel like just a part of your schedule, Creamer said.

“I find that in a class it invites the same mindset that the rest of your work day invites; it’s just something that you’re doing to get done,” she said.

Staying home also eliminates the cost of studio yoga. Burlington Yoga for example charges $13 for a one hour session.

That amount of money can buy a high-density yoga mat on Amazon that will last hundreds of free at-home sessions, be them 30 minutes, an hour or more.

Senior Shauna Corbet practices yoga to help with anxiety and sticks to her own moves.

“I’ll follow a video or look up a specific yoga pose, whether I’m in the mood for restore, flow, or energy,” she said.

One resource for free at-home yoga videos is Yoga with Adriene.

Adriene Mishler is a yoga instructor who has almost 400 yoga videos on YouTube for different styles, including root chakra yoga, yoga for beginners, weight loss yoga and 30-day yoga journeys.

With over 3 million followers, Mishler’s messages about the benefits of yoga practice reach far. “Do your best, be authentic and find what feels good,” her YouTube bio states.

The at-home yoga practice allows this exploration and variation that couldn’t normally be achieved from a class.

“When I choose to do yoga at home, I can practice my moves at my own pace. It’s all on my own terms and I like being in control in that sense,” Corbet said.

Another reason to practice yoga at home is that it helps build a sustainable habit.

It is important to cultivate the skill of doing yoga on your own, without reliance on a teacher. Creating a home yoga practice is like riding a bike, and only attending classes is like riding with the training wheels on,” the Art of Living website states.

Daily yoga practice can be the most beautiful thing to integrate into your life, Creamer said.

“Honestly, I think everyone could use a little yoga in their life,” Corbet said.

1 Comment

One Response to “Grab a mat and keep your pj’s on, it’s time for home yoga”

1. Nayeema on May 5th, 2018 5:56 am

There are many practitioners who love to do the workouts individually at home as they feel it comfortable. I am a yoga instructor and in my opinion, before doing the workouts at home personally, it is better to learn the workouts from an experienced instructor and in a reputed studio or yoga center. You might like to do the workouts by reading from a instruction or watching online videos but this type of practice might make you misguided. If you join a yoga class, your mistakes will be noticed by the teacher as well as you can share your thoughts, experiences with other students and will enjoy the workouts. After learning the workouts properly, when you will get a green signal, you can do the workouts at home but should maintain regularity in your practice and consider your safety first.

Nayeema
    http://www.anamayaresort.com

[Reply]