Greek is Chic

Gregory Nagy, Francis Jones professor of classical Greek literature and professor of comparative literature at Harvard University, will discuss “The Poetics of Ancient Greek Festivals,” as part of the President’s Distinguished Lecture Series at the University of Vermont.

One of the preeminent Classicists in the world today, he will speak at 5 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 19, in Billings North Lounge.

Nagy has published dozens of books and hundreds of articles on Greek mythology and poetry. His work on the orality of ancient Greek poetry and its performance traditions draws on various disciplines beyond the field of Classics-historical linguistics and anthropology, in particular. He also is a leader in using information technology to disseminate scholarly writings. Nagy’s online, virtual classroom experiment, “Homer’s Poetic Justice,” made an exclusive Harvard University course available to the general public and attracted much attention as a model in academia. As director of the prestigious Center for Hellenic Studies in Washington, D.C., he is pioneering a multi-scholar hypertext online commentary on the Greek text of Homer’s “Iliad” and “Odyssey.” Nagy’s own books include “The Poetics of the Panathenaic Festival in Classical Athens,” “Poetry as Performance: Homer and Beyond,” and “The Homeric Question.”

The President’s Distinguished Lecture Series, established by President Daniel Mark Fogel in October 2002, brings top researchers to enhance the academic experience; showcase faculty, students and programs; and bring the campus community together.

For more information on Nagy’s lecture, contact Mark Usher, associate professor of Classics and program host, at 656-4431.