Guest speaks on significance of five pillars of Islam

?

The Muslim Students Association (MSA) held its first event of the semester March 29. 

Founded three years ago, the club is open to any student, whether he or she identifies closely with the religion or would like to learn more about the faith. 

According to club members Aya Alnamee, a first-year, and Eman Hayyat, a sophomore, the event was the semester’s kickoff event.

“The goal for our club is to create a comfortable environment for Muslim students to express themselves on campus,” Alnamee said.  

Featuring traditional cuisine and discussion, the core of the MSA event revolved around a presentation by guest speaker Sheikh Islam of the Islamic Society of Vermont. 

Islam presented to attendees the core values and significance of the Five Pillars of Islam and what it means to be a member of the Islamic community. 

“The term ‘Islam’ is a broader term than just peace,” he said. “You do whatever you are doing peacefully.” 

The Five Pillars of Islam are the belief in the One God Allah, testimony of faith, charity, fasting and pilgrimage.  

Each pillar has specific guidelines that are a religious duty to fulfill. 

According to Sheikh Islam, there are two parts of the first pillar – negation and confirmation. Negation refers to disbelief in any other god and confirmation is the belief in only the One God Allah.

The second pillar mandates daily prayer, performed five times per day at set intervals. 

“There are no excuses – you must pray [each day],” Islam said.

The third pillar of charity requires that all capable followers give money to the poor. According to Sheikh Islam, capability is determined by one’s possession of the equivalent of currency to 85 grams of gold. 

“The price of gold is universal, so this can apply to all currencies,” Islam said.  

People who are eligible must give 2.5 percent of their earnings to charity, according to Sheikh Islam.

The fourth pillar is fasting. During the month of Ramadan, Muslims practice fasting between dawn and sunset.

The fifth and final pillar of Islam is a pilgrimage to the holy city of Mecca, Saudi Arabia. 

This journey is known as the Hajj and is traveled by 3 million Muslims annually. The trip is required at least once in a lifetime, provided that the subject is physically fit and financially able to do so.

“It was great to see a community coming together to educate others about their culture. I learned a lot and I look forward to all of your future events,” said senior Will Vitagliano, vice president of SGA.

The club plans to have more guest speakers and to reach out to students in college, according to Alnamee. Future dates of MSA meetings and events are not yet set. 

For more information about the club, search for UVM Muslim Student Association on Facebook.