High rankings for UVM

UVM was recently ranked as the public college with the 22nd highest graduation rate in the country, according to CNN Money.

Sixty-five percent of UVM students graduate within four years.

“I think it’s because tuition is so expensive,” sophomore Ganesh Sharma said. “Graduating in four years is an investment.”

Pamela Gardner, director of the Career Center, said that it’s the students, faculty and staff who enhance learning and help students to be successful. Gardner said that connections with friends, time with faculty outside of the classroom, availability of courses and staff who show interest in students all encourage students to be successful.

Junior Olivia Sorci said it helps that professors are engaged with students. “Professors really care about the students here,” Sorci said.

Other students said it’s their peers that affect the graduation rate. “If you’re surrounded by motivated people, you’re going to be motivated too,” senior Eli Coniglio said.

The Career Center also offers a  four year plan, which is designed to help “maximize” student engagement and help students “stay on track” with their goals, according to the Career Center’s website.

In addition to being in the top 25 schools with the highest four-year graduation rates, UVM was also ranked eighth in USA Today’s “10 Best Colleges to Study Health Professions,” according to an article from university communications.

“The strength in the program, in my opinion, comes from the clinical strength,” said Dr. Rosemary   Dale, chair of the nursing department. “The very rich relationship with the University of Vermont Medical Center, and its proximity to our campus, also enhance the entire experience,” she said.