Hip Burlington Café satisfies any diet

New Moon Café is full of rustic and modern vibes, lots of rugged hardwood and simple decor.

Hip Burlington Café satisfies any diet PHOTO BY RYAN THORNTON

The ambience is much more modern than say, Muddy Waters, but that’s okay with me.

New Moon offers soups, salads, sandwiches, desserts and an assortment of café drinks.

They proudly display the very colorful and vibrant items for their salads and sandwiches behind glass, so customers can observe the freshness.

New Moon is a favorite among vegans and vegetarians, and for good reason: they offer a full vegan menu with the option of customizing any component.

New Moon definitely knows about superfoods, nutrient-rich foods like broccoli or salmon, and showcases them on the menu.

If you ever wanted to try a vegan macro bowl, an assortment of grains, proteins like tempeh or quinoa, vegetables and fermented foods, this is the place to do it.

There is plenty of meat and cheese options for omnivores as well.

The staff are friendly and knowledgeable, and are used to picky eaters.

Similarly, for someone who can’t eat dairy like myself, it’s a nice treat to have a variety of dairy-free options.

I got a small Mediterranean salad and a large coconut macaroon.

This was one of the best salads I have had in my life. For a small salad, the portion was very reasonable.

Some health-conscious places can get a little stingy when it comes to portions, but not here.   

Salty olives played with fresh tomatoes, chickpeas, creamy hummus and crunchy onions to create a variety of textures and flavors, all on a bed of fresh spinach.

The only dressing available was olive oil, seemingly to not overpower the other vibrant flavors on the plate.

It was clear that a lot of thought went into their signature salads and it isn’t your typical bland vegan fare.

At first, I thought hummus in a salad was strange, but it was surprisingly good and made the salad filling.

The macaroon had a deceivingly hard outside that gave way to fluffy, light coconut goodness.

For those looking for a warm study place this winter, there is a fireplace with cushy couches, and the light is bright enough to work by but dim enough to keep the ambiance at the same time.

New Moon is an excellent option for a place to study with a cup of coffee in hand or for delicious yet healthy food.