How to properly use a condom

?

Condoms help to prevent the spread of sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and unwanted pregnancy – here are some tips to keep condom effectiveness at 98 percent.

? Give the unopened package a little squeeze to ensure there is a small air pocket in the package. If there is no air pocket, the wrapper and condom could have holes – ditch the condom and get a new one. 

? Also, make sure the condom hasn’t expired – there is an expiration date on every wrapper. The condom may be old if it is discolored, sticky or brittle. If it is, get a new one – don’t risk it. 

? Another common user error is improper lubrication. Be sure to use only water-based lubricants with latex condoms, as oil based lubes, lotions and oils corrode the latex and reduce effectiveness.

? To open the wrapper, use your hands – no teeth or scissors. 

? It is important to put the condom on the penis, sex toy or hand before vaginal or anal penetration because pre-cum, vaginal secretions and blood from small cuts on your hands can transmit bacterial organisms. 

? Place the condom, rolled rim on the outside, on the head of the penis, sex toy or fingers. 

? If putting on a penis, apply some lube on the head of the penis first. Be sure to pinch the tip of the condom to create a small reservoir for semen and roll the condom down the base of the shaft of the penis. 

? After ejaculation, hold the base of the condom in place and withdraw the penis. Wrap the condom in a tissue and throw it away in a trash can.

On campus you can get free condoms in residence halls from your RAs and RDs, at the ALANA Student Center, Women’s Center, LGBTQA Center, the Student Health centers, Counseling and Psychiatry Services (CAPS) and at info desks and Living Well in the Davis Center.

If you are not on campus, download iCondom, a location-based app charting the location of over 6,000 different condom dispenser locations.

Contributing auhor: Riley Duffie, Wellness Associate with the UVM Center for Health and Wellbeing.