Humans of the University of Vermont

It may not always be evident, but diversity is real here at UVM. The diversity exists in personalities, upbringings, interests, religion, sexuality; you name it, it’s here.

In New York City, Brandon Stanton of Humans of New York roams the streets looking for hints of humanity to intertwine us all. At UVM, Marissa Lanoff and Harper Simpson are here to do the same.  This week, the focus is on upbringing, people’s roots.

When was a time your parents surprised you?

Isabella Bröwnelorchet, New York

ISABELLA BROWNELORCHET, New York

“One time, I was asking my parents about dating back in the day. I asked them how to ask somebody out on a date that you don’t know. I asked them if they were friends for a while before they started dating. My mom replied, ‘Well, we were sleeping together for three months before we started dating.’ My mom had a rat tail and a very asymmetrical haircut, and that explains a lot about her in the ‘80s. My dad was like, ‘Damn, she’s so hot.’” 

ROGER DAGAMA, New York

Roger Dagama, New York

“My dad is the housewife, and my mom makes themoney. She is a New York City supreme court judge. She has always been a very career-oriented woman.I think [my parents] have shown me that I would like to be somewhere in between, having time for your family and also being about to contribute [financially]. They really taught me to be cool with not falling into gender stereotypes.”

Kevin Foley, New Jersey

KEVIN FOLEY, New Jersey

“I came to UVM for the mountains. I went on my first backpacking trip when I was eight. My dad brought me up to the Catskills. It was long, and the pack was heavy. That was how I got into hiking, and it just kind of took off from there. It was great though. It was our opportunity to just be the two of us.”