Humans of UVM

Maybe it’s not evident, but diversity is real here at UVM. The diversity exists in personalities, upbringing, interests, religion, sexuality, you name it.

In New York City, Brandon Stanton of Humans of New York, roams the streets looking for hints of humanity to intertwine us all.

At UVM, Willa Richmond is here to do the same.

RUTH DOEhumans6

“To be honest, I’m not really a science person. I chose microbiology as a major because in my last year of high school, the teacher had us learn about anatomy and physiology. But there was this one unit on microbiology, and I was so interested in learning about the microbes and how some of them cause disease. So, one day I want to go abroad and work in developing countries because I’m originally from Burma [and] that is a developing country, unfortunately.”

JJ HUhumans3

“The story of my shoes: so I got those shoes from China, because they’re cheap. And I personally think they’re much prettier than anything I’ve got from America. Also, this pair of shoes always reminds me I need to buy a soda and popcorn before I go to theater.”

NICK HOFFMAN

“I’m not a sophomore or junior or any other class. If I had to choose, I’d call myself a returning student. I love the school, I always have since coming here. I kinda had to leave because my grades were shit. There weren’t many options and I was dismissed from the School of Engineering. I could have repealed it, but it was a good decision to leave. I didn’t know what to do with my life and didn’t want to drop into the next thing. I started here at 17, dove into engineering. My brother is an engineer. I like the concept of it, but I have the wrong mindset for it.”
humans1

JORDAN QUILEShumans4

“Students, because of their race or sex
uality or gender, might not feel welcome, but UVM gives them this opportunity to feel comfortable and have their voices heard. It also gives students  who are not of those identities  a chance to really learn about these issues and get involved. And what I really like is, it doesn’t necessarily feel awkward to be white at the ALANA Center; it
doesn’t necessarily feel awkward to be straight at the Allen House. They really make you feel comfortable.”

ROZ ARONOWhumans5

“I wanted to be an environmental studies major because it’s a personal goal of mine to help the Earth. I know it’s being degraded over time. I try to focus on what makes me happy, but what makes me happy, the environment, is what stresses me out the most at the same time. ”