Knowing your protein

Protein is a popular pre-workout and post-workout drink. Use this quick cheatsheet to learn more about the most popular kinds of protein.

Whey Protein

Milk is manufactured and separated down into curds and whey.

Twenty percent of protein in milk comes from whey, which is separated from curds and processed.

Pros: It is quickly absorbed by the body, it helps with recovery time, promotes lean muscle growth and fat loss and it is a source of added calories, if that’s your goal.

Cons: It may upset your stomach if you are sensitive to lactose. It is also an added source of calories, if that isn’t your goal.

Egg white protein

It’s a complete protein that comes from separating out egg yolks and dehydrating the egg whites.

Pros: One serving provides up to 24 grams of protein and four times the amount of protein in one egg. It is lactose-free and contains considerable amounts of vitamins A, B and D.

Cons: It is one of the most expensive types of protein and egg allergies are somewhat common.

Pea protein

Yellow or green field peas are dried, ground up and used as a powder.

Pros: This is perfect if you are vegan or vegetarian and it is also hypoallergenic, meaning allergen friendly.

Cons: Although it contains many essential amino acids, it is deficient in some and shouldn’t be a primary source of dietary protein.

Soy protein

Soy protein is concentrated or isolated from dried soy beans.

Pros: It improves immune function and bone health. It could also help prevent cardiovascular disease and reduce cancer risks.

Cons: Some soy is genetically modified.