Meathead Films show off their chops

At any movie premiere, there are the superfans that come out in costume. Instead of donning lightning bolts of face paint and wands, however, this past Friday’s opening night of Meathead Films’ “Prime Cut” brought out those in ski goggles and snow pants. This year’s Meathead Films premiere was the 10th anniversary of film production since the company’s start at UVM in 2001, founder Geoff McDonald said when introducing the film. “Prime Cut” was preceded by the premiere of Main Idea’s “Prologue” which also featured many local and UVM skiers. All of the proceeds of the premiere went to the Flyin’ Ryan Hawks Foundation. The foundation created the Mad River Glen Flyin’ Ryan Scholarship and an ambassador program for young skiers to carry on the principles of Ryan Hawks, a local skier who died last year, UVM SSC’s Phil Bruno said. Bruno said that he shared some of his best skiing memories with Hawks and wanted to share that with other skiers. “Memories shared while skiing are some of the most enduring and powerful, and we were all determined to keep that powerful idea alive at Mad River Glen,” Bruno said. The film also showcased a segment about the deceased skier at Mad River Glen, whose philosophy was stated as: “Ski for the right reasons and love life.” Peter Hawks, father of Ryan, expressed gratitude toward the creators of the event and the people at Mad River Glen, the High Five Organization and UVM SSC who helped create the Flyin’ Ryan Foundation. “It’s been a 10,” Hawks said. “I have nothing but respect for the way we’ve been treated. Meatheads, same thing.” The event was estimated to have about 800 in attendance, but far exceeding the 600-person seating capacity of the Grand Maple Ballroom, said Ax Hayssen, senior and Ski The East and Meathead Films intern. “We were so pumped to see so many people come out and support,” Hayssen said. The premiere was one of the largest many attendees had ever been to. “Each year at the International Freeskiing Film Festival in Montreal, there are screenings of films that draw massive crowds,” Bruno said. “The amount of people and the energy that was present on Friday night made those premiers seem tiny and mundane.” The film showcased locations from all over the east. It featured top East Coast skiers and local up and coming skiers. The film ended with Burlington locations, including the whale tails located to the side of Interstate 89, which elicited cheers and standing on chairs in the crowd. “No better place is situated to live the ski-bum lifestyle,” the film stated. Ski The East, Ski Rack and many more sponsors came out to support the start of Meathead’s tour. These are the sponsors that have supported Meathead Films for the past 10 years, Hayssen said. The premiere was one of more than 60 stops in the Northeast, according to Meathead Films’ website. UVM students involved in the planning of the event said that the experience of participating in the premiere was invaluable. “Every single young, East Coast skier’s dream for the past 10 years is to be able to film with the Meatheads and be a part of the Ski The East crew,” Bruno said. “They represent East Coast ski culture through and through, and their movies are awesome.” “Prime Cut” is currently available for preorder on the Meathead Films website.