Montreal: Our Neighbor to The North

Two hours beyond the US-Canadian border lies Montreal. It is here in Quebec where the sprawling metropolis of Montreal can be found.Located on the banks of the St. Lawerence, Montreal served as the principal port of trade for the French Empire as early as the 1600s, and was often referred to as Canada’s “wild west”. Montreal, far from remaining a fur trading outpost, blossomed into modern economic center for the burgeoning province of Quebec.

Montreal, aside from the commercially and sexually charged environment of St. Catherine’s Street, is the political and social hub of Canada’s East Coast. Montreal hosts over 400 festivals, running the gamut from fashion to film, every year. Montreal is also considered one of Canada’s most culturally and artistically diverse cities; this is seen best in its museums and galleries. So, the next time you visit Montreal, take some time to check out our northern neighbor’s better sites.

Museum of Contemporary ArtMontreal’s museum of Contemporary Art has long been considered one of North America’s finest and draws art critics throughout the lower forty-eight to its permanent collection and exhibitions. McGillMcGill, located in the heart of Montreal, has served as one of Quebec’s guiding academic institutions. Since Quebec’s enacted language legislation, almost all of McGill’s classes are taught in French. Since Canada has integrated aspects of socialism into their government, tuition for McGill students is considerably less than their US counterparts, and offers a wide range of academic and environmental benefits.

Architectural ArtsThe Canadian Centre for Architecture (CCA) was founded in 1979 as a new form of cultural institution to build public awareness of the role of architecture in society, promote scholarly research in the field, and stimulate innovation in design practice.

The CCA is an international research center and museum founded on the conviction that architecture is a public concern. Based on its extensive collections, the CCA is a leading voice in advancing knowledge, promoting public understanding, and widening thought and debate on the art of architecture, its history, theory, practice, and role in society today.

Performance ArtEstablished in 1983, Festival Loto-Qu?©bec Just For Laughs presented in association with Labatt Bleue has developed into one of the world’s largest international Festivals. Though initially devoted entirely to humor, it has since expanded its areas of interest to include various forms of artistry that add even more excitement and pleasure to the public’s experience, while broadening cultural horizons – because comedy can provide an excellent opportunity to discover and share other cultures, while learning more about our own. Humor, as with all other forms of art, is in a perpetual state of flux, and it is our mission to demonstrate its constant evolution.

Montreal’s BiodomeMontreal’s architectural masterpiece since the 1967 World Fair, the Biosph??re is located in the former American pavilion created by the visionary architect Richard Buckminster Fuller (1895-1983). Montreal’s Biosph??re opened in 1995 as the only museum of water in North America dedicated to the St. Lawrence River and the Great Lakes.

A privileged meeting place where people are invited to discover and understand water, the Biosph??re heightens public awareness of its importance and the necessity to protect it. The thematic exhibitions make the Biosph??re an educative and entertaining place for the entire family to better learn about the great aquatic ecosystems and the major water issues.