Filed under Columns, Life

Noodle shop offers a diverse menu

Asiana Noodle Shop is a warm little restaurant nestled in a basement off of Church Street.

IMG_6579 copy

Noodle shop offers a diverse menu PHOTO BY RYAN THORNTON

Offerings include sushi, curries, various asian entrees and of course, noodles.

This past week, my friends were in the mood for Asian food, so we decided to head down to Asiana for a quick dinner before the homecoming acapella concert.  Eating out during homecoming weekend is always risky, but we were quickly accommodated despite the hectic scene.

Dining parties were packed tightly together, most concentrating on their food, looking up for brief conversation.

The sushi chefs were in full view, chopping fish and vegetables , providing a nice transparency and ambiance.  

The amount of menu items can be somewhat overwhelming but everything looked delicious. The first thing I ordered was the shredded fries appetizer, since a friend had raved about them multiple times.

Noodle shop offers a diverse menu PHOTO BY RYAN THORTON

The fries exceeded expectations. The shredded sweet potato combined with the crispy fried tempura batter gave the perfect texture and rich taste. The sweet chili dipping sauce was the real kicker — a perfect balance of sweet and salty with a little bit of hotness.

It was harder to pick an entree. I tend to stick with what I know, but this time I opted to get one of the more complicated sushi platters. I was drawn to the “Sexy Maki” and the waiter proclaimed it as his favorite, so decided to give it a go.

According to the menu, the Sexy Maxi consists of tempura fried maki with shrimp tempura and spicy mayo rolled up inside. The roll is then topped with spicy scallops, avocado and fresh mango salad and slightly torched with teriyaki sauce.

My sushi rolls did indeed appear quite sexy. The heaped avocado and mango with sliced vegetable garnishes presented a stylish flare.

Each bite was packed with delicious flavors and a little bit of crispness from the fried maki. The spicy mayo wasn’t overwhelming and paired perfectly with the shrimp tempura and scallops.  It was the first time sushi left me feeling full.

My friends ordered a coconut milk curry, papaya salad and vegetarian sushi rolls and everything was enjoyed thoroughly.

Asiana Noodle Shop is the place to go if you’re craving all types of sushi, noodle bowls or other delicious asian entrees. It’s the perfect restaurant to take a break from exploring or shopping downtown.

The owners have also recently opened up a conveyor belt sushi bar in the Burlington Town Center if you’re looking to try out a different kind of dining experience.