ONE chapter seeking SGA approval

The SGA is about to be presented with a new on-campus organization that is aiming to fight global poverty.

The ONE Campaign, founded in 2004 by U2 frontman Bono, is an international, nonprofit that seeks to prevent poverty and preventable diseases, like HIV and AIDS, throughout the globe, according to ONE.org. The programs actions are “directed at local and national politicians to urge them to support legislation that could increase foreign aid to these countries,” said senior Hannah Heintz, a campus leader for UVM ONE.

On-campus chapters are set up across colleges all over the country to get as many people involved as possible to raise awareness, according to the website. Heintz and sophomore Zoe Kupper, who are attempting to establish a campus chapter at UVM, went to a ONE power summit in Washington, D.C. this past spring. While there, they said they learned about the different programs and ONE bills they could bring back to campus.

They learned from other global organizations such as the Global Fund, Gavi and the Vaccine Alliance. Private donors also contribute funding. Heintz and Kupper had the chance to speak with Vermont Sen. Patrick Leahy about working to pass their current mission: the Electrify Africa Act, a bill that will provide electricity to 50 million Africans. However, it’s not just the Electrify Africa Act that ONE at UVM is trying to pass.

Whenever a new global issue concerning poverty or disease arises, an email concerning the issue is automatically sent to ONE chapters, Heintz said. “There is no incentive to get students to raise money, just to be educated on the issue and raise awareness in any way possible,” Heintz said.

Students interested in getting involved can help pass bills by writing letters, calling local politicians or even posting to social media.

“I think it’s a really beneficial organization to have on campus,” first-year Jenna Rohling said. “Students should be aware of these global issues and get involved in fighting them.”

If the SGA approves ONE to become an official UVM chapter, general meetings will be held roughly every month. At these meetings, different issues will be presented and students will then be sent to contact local politicians and increase activism via social media, Kupper said. “Our government is extremely accessible,” she said.

“Politicians take ONE bills very seriously,” Kupper said. “They really appreciate receiving letters from students about these issues, and it’s also a great way for students to get involved in humanitarian work and get their voices heard.”