Practice self love with a sex toy

Autumn Lee, Life Columnist

Whether single or taken this Valentine’s Day, self-love is in order.

Let’s be honest: we can’t talk about love without talking about sex. It’s time to treat yourself to a sex toy.

Whether you’re a sex shop regular or new to the game, the season of love is always a great time to explore sexuality with a new sex toy.

Somehow, sex toys are still taboo. They’re hidden at the back of stores and are too often the butt of bad jokes.

Movies like “Fifty Shades of Grey” bring sex toys and BDSM into the public eye, but simplify the sexual practice and still shows a submissive woman in need of a man for pleasure.

But masturbation is a healthy way to relieve stress and increase happiness, according to the Planned Parenthood website. Sex toys can make it more enjoyable.

In addition to face masks and chocolates, masturbation is another way to show the body and mind some self-love.

You won’t be alone. According to a November 2013 Brown Daily Herald article, around 80 percent of students at Brown University masturbate.

Make your masturbation session extra special this Valentine’s Day by setting the scene with candles, sexy music, a silenced phone — nothing kills the mood like an email notification — and a sex toy.

If you’re spending Valentine’s day with someone special, don’t push sex toys out of the picture.

Using toys has helped me tell my partners what I want.

Toys and accessories can bring excitement to any relationship.

No matter your experience level, it’s important to communicate what you like, don’t like and want to try to make both people feel safe.

Dildos, vibrators, penis rings and much more are great additions to any sex toy collection.

Magic wands have different attachments you can use without having to buy a whole new product.

But toys aren’t the only way to bring your V-day experience to the next level. You may want to try role-playing or BDSM.

Adult stores offer kits that include a paddle, whip, cuffs and blindfolds, and are an easy beginner’s pack for BDSM.

Lingerie has potential, too: be it a cute surprise for your partner or an excuse to fill your camera roll with sensual selfies.

So this Valentine’s Day, try something new in the spirit of love or self-love.