Promoting food justice at UVM

UVM explored the topic of food justice March 11 in the Aiken Center.

“Food Justice Activism: Through a Social Justice Lense” was an intersectional food justice workshop led by Kat Yang-Stevens.

Food justice suggests that food is a right and that no  one should live without enough food because of economic or societal constraints, according to growingfoodandjustice.org.

Yang-Stevens is a popular social justice speaker who works to prevent  racism and promote food justice through activist strategies, according to the UVM Bored website.

In 2010, more than 17 million people in the U.S. were food insecure at one point, Yang-Stevens said.

“It should be ensured that all people have food security regardless of where they live.” first-­year Ari Katsoulis said.

To have food security, people need to be able to get food that is nutritionally adequate and safe, Yang-Stevens said.

The workshop used an “intersectional and anti­-colonial framework” to help develop students understanding and connections between food systems and environmental justice, according to the UVM Bored page.

Yang-Stevens said the environment is “the indigenous lands we live, work, eat and play on.”

This includes public and human health concerns like public housing, the border and factories in low-­income communities, Yang-Stevens said.

“There’s a lot about food justice we don’t know,” sophomore Meredith Lupini said. “We need to keep learning and stay aware.”

The workshop was interactive to give students “tangible” ways to incorporate “new-found understandings” into their daily lives, according to the UVM Bored page.

The event was run by senior Cleo Doley.

Doley is a part of the Rubenstein School and its environmental program. The workshop is a part of her senior thesis, Doley said.