Rallython funds hospital

Lily Merriam, Staff Writer

Particpants in an all-night fundraiser danced from 4 p.m. March 3 to 4 a.m. March 4 to mimic a nurse’s 12-hour shift.

Rallython, Miracle Network Dance Marathon’s year-long fundraising culmination event, raised money for the UVM Children’s Hospital and the local Miracle Network Children’s Hospital.

“It’s so incredible to see a group of students come together,” Rallython President senior Meg Morrison said.

Every dollar raised can provide the hospitals with new equipment and help families with expenses, according to the event’s website.

“It just feels like you’re giving back to a cause that’s so much bigger than yourself,” senior Grace Wagner said.

This year, they raised $86, 714, according to the Rallython website.

“The energy in there, you have to go in and experience it. Just to see so many people bound together for such a good cause,” Wagner said.

More than anything, Wagner was amazed by how tangible the rewards of their efforts were, she said.

“When the families share their stories you realize why you put in all the effort to raise money. Why you stay here all night and dance until your feet hurt,” she said.

Many find that dancing is fun, but it can get physically taxing after a full 12 hours.

“We really encourage everyone to stay standing because twelve hours represents a nurse’s shift,” sponsorship Chair senior Margie DesLauriers said.

Not only was the Grand Maple Ballroom packed with dancing students, other rooms on the fourth floor of the Davis Center were occupied as well.

A craft room, a room for families and a video game room were some of the options.

This year, the organizers introduced a bouncy house room.

The team that raised the most was rewarded with the first 30-minute turn in the bouncy house.

“If you don’t dance but stay on your feet, you can still make an impact,” Morrison said.

The more money dancers raised, the more points they got.

Points could be used to get Rallython water bottles, bracelets, t-shirts and premium food access, DesLauriers said.

But nothing was better motivation than the stories from  families that were shared every hour, she said.