Resolve to try even if you do not succeed

Erin Powell, Staff Writer

There is no scientific reason for the new year to begin when it does, but the arrival of January still holds global significance.

A new year signifies a fresh slate and a chance to improve from the previous year, and is often accompanied by resolutions.

Whether it is to lose the freshman 15 or to finally get organized, a promise of progress in the new year is exciting.

“I usually make a resolution just for the sake of having one, so I can feel like I actually accomplished something,” sophomore Katie Bell said. “Occasionally it’s because there’s actually something in my life I want I want to change, and the new year gives me a reason.”

Having a solid goal to reach for can result in more substantial feelings of success.

“My new year’s resolution is to be more positive and more outgoing,” first year Frankie Torcia said.

Torcia attests to taking part in the culture of complaints she has noticed over the last year, she said.

“I talk very negatively about my life, even though most of the time its a joke, it doesn’t help to drill those stigmas into my head,” she said. “I really want to try and have a happier outlook on life.”

Unfortunately new year’s resolutions are notorious for failing—a Dec 2008 study by the University of Scranton estimates that as little as 8 percent of resolutions are successful.

Bell believes the best way to be successful is to give yourself a resolution that can’t fail.

“I’ve only ever broken one that I remember,” she said, “This year one of my resolutions is to go to the gym more than last year, so at least once. I’m sure that won’t be so hard.”

A Dec. 2017 New York Times article suggests that new year’s resolutions should focus less of resisting temptations, and more on cultivating positive emotions about one’s current life.

Reflect on what you’re grateful to have been given. Take pride in the small achievements on the path to your goals. Doing so will help ensure that every future New Year’s Eve will have more to celebrate than to regret,” the article stated.

A different approach to success is to not focus on a end goal, but on improvement.

“If I keep the mentality that I’m working on fixing my outlook, I can’t fail on my resolution because I’m still trying,” Torcia said.