Self care is vital to managing time

Back to Article
Back to Article

Self care is vital to managing time

Katie Brobst, Assistant Life Editor

Whether it’s by using a bulleted list, Google calendar or mind palace, students need to keep track of their commitments.

With exams always lurking around the corner, scheduling is a priority.

“I think that poor time management can negatively affect our overall health because we feel rushed and not present,” Living Well employee Annie Valentine said.

Students often over-schedule themselves and don’t allot enough time for individual responsibilities, Valentine said.

“For a one hour presentation, I actually need an hour to prepare, a half hour to get situated, time to debrief and extra time in case something goes wrong,” she said, forming a common hypothetical.

“That hour turns into four, so allotting enough time to do the task you’ve committed to is important,” she said.

Keeping track of time requires some method of organization and different methods work for different people.

Junior Eliot Heirich prefers to keep it all close at hand, that is, in his head. “Usually the night before I think, okay, what do I have to do tomorrow? I ask myself if I have anything due, and if I haven’t done it, I panic and do it,” Heinrich said.

Taking on an improvisational method Heinrich “really [doesn’t] have any organizational tools except trying to remember it and hope for the best,” he said.

While simply keeping one’s schedule and to-do list in one’s head works for some, other students take a more strategized approach.

Junior Nikisha Falcone is a full-time student, an RA, works for UPB, and is on the varsity track and field team, she said.

“I use Google Calendar, and I look at that probably twenty times a day,” Falcone said.

She also finds her bullet journal helpful for keeping a to-do list. “Like psychology says, if you write it down you’re more likely to do it because you can physically cross it off and feel good afterwards,” Falcone said.

New York University’s tips for effective time management echo Falcone’s strategies. NYU writes that spending time organizing is time well spent, and students should organize in a way that makes sense to them. It doesn’t matter if it’s neatly filed or filled with pictures and side notes, whatever works.

Something both the NYU and UVM OutReach websites suggest is to take breaks and incorporate rewards.

This is where self-care comes in. “I just started doing self-care!” senior Olivia Schrantz said. “I didn’t realize it was a concept until recently,” she said, suggesting lots of sleep and self love.

Valentine’s advice for self-care is to utilize the classes and resources Living Well offers and to get a check in buddy.

A check in buddy is someone with whom students can share and discuss each other’s workload and mental state.

“Make a study date, or go for a walk,” Valentine said. “Self-care is what refills our cup that gets drained by all our responsibilities.”