Sharing memories of SGA VP

Katie Brobst, Assistant Life Editor

David J. Maciewicz, Jr., a former SGA vice president, passed away unexpectedly on Oct. 25 due to medical complications.

Left behind to remember him are his parents Deborah and David Maciewicz and those who knew him from his time at UVM.

David graduated with honors in 2011. He served on the SGA as Vice President his senior year.

Pat Brown, director of Student Life and David’s advisor, remembers him as a quiet leader who worked hard to advance the interests of the students he represented.

“His determination helped the SGA to have a successful year,” Brown said. “The news of his death saddened myself and the students who were his colleagues at UVM.”

Among the people who worked with David is Blanka Caha, SGA’s Business Accounting Specialist. She recalls his devotion to serving communities and his sarcasm.

“I think of him as a very compassionate person with a sarcastic sense of humor,” Caha said. “I know he built a strong relationship with some of his peers in SGA that lasted beyond college.”

Elizabeth Salsgiver met David as a first-year when they lived in Converse Hall together. The two later served under Student President Kofi Mensah as Vice President and Treasurer.

“Our ability to function well as a team was undoubtedly aided by David’s ability to make every person feel included,” Salsgreat said.

Salsgreat admired his listening skills, his ability to bring humor to any situation and his creativity when solving problems, she said.

“He was often able to translate one’s emotions into language in a way others weren’t capable of doing,” she said.

Salsgreat said that she was in contact with David and Kofi almost daily until David’s passing.

“He was one of the most thoughtful people I’ve met,” she said.
Online condolences can be left at www.fwefh.com. And donations can be made to Mohawk Valley Refugee Center, and organization David volunteered for and loved, at mvrcr.org/donate.   

About the Writer
Katie Brobst, Assistant Life Editor
I am an English and Film & Television Studies double major here at UVM. I was homeschool through high school and transferred here after attending CCV’s Early College Program. I’ve been writing for the Cynic since Spring 2017, and love doing stories about groups and organizations on campus I otherwise would have never known existed....