Filed under Life

Sorority holds fundraiser to combat cancer

Illustration by SAM WOOLFOLK

[/media-credit] Illustration by SAM WOOLFOLK

Cupcakes, brownies, cookies and other treats filled the Delta Delta Delta house March 20.

Delta Desserts is an annual event held to raise money for St. Jude Children’s Hospital.

Tickets were $5 in advance and $7 the day of the event in return for all-you-can-eat desserts. All proceeds were donated  to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

UVM’s Tri Delta has raised $1,453, according to their Facebook page.

“Chapters all around the country do Delta Desserts, so we’re proud to take on the tradition,” sophomore philanthropy chair Olivia Treanor said.

Junior Faith Mancuso, vice president of public relations, said the event is also a good way to have people come to the house and see what the sorority is all about.

“I think one of the things that makes Greek life appealing are the connections you build with other people on campus, both those involved in Greek Life and those who are not,” Tri Delta President Emily Andrulat said.

“There is endless opportunity for personal growth and leadership development,” Andrulat said.

“As a sisterhood, we complete thousands of hours of community service every year, from events ranging from neighborhood clean ups to putting on an annual senior prom,” Andrulat said.

Tri Delta’s chosen philanthropy is childhood cancer research, Treanor said. The national chapter officially partnered with St. Jude Children’s Research hospital in 1999.

Because of Tri Delta’s direct involvement with the hospital, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital named a recovery floor after the sorority, Treanor said.

“We made a pledge to raise $60 million in three years,” Treanor said. “The average donation is only $38, so it makes a huge impact.”

“This is the largest single commitment made by a St. Jude partner,” according to the hospital’s website.

Tri Delta has raised $40 million to date nationally, and this most recent pledge prompted the hospital to rename their short-term housing facility Tri Delta Place.

Treanor, who recently visited St. Jude’s, said the patients “know Tri Delta as the ‘triangle girls,’” emphasizing the powerful impact of the sorority’s work with this partnership.

Aside from the benefits of the hospital, Treanor said charity work “bonds sisters nationally” and enables women to do community service with their best friends.

“Sororities are much more than a way to expand your social life,” Andrulat said.

“Sororities are support systems and each member of Tri Delta is unique,” she said.

“Just like UVM, Tri Delta is not homogeneous,” Andrulat said. We have women from different backgrounds, different interests and passions.”

“The only thing that is the same among all members is our values,” she said.

“When you join a greek organization, you become a part of something greater, which inspires you to be the best version of yourself,” Andrulat said.