Spinning your way to strength

Whether you find going to the gym a nightmare, are a fitness fanatic or you like to workout occasionally, group fitness classes offer something for everybody.

With classes like Zumba, kickboxing, TRX, cycling, pilates and plentiful variations of yoga, every student can find something they’ll enjoy regardless of their fitness level.

Kyla Williamson, a senior with a double major in math and studio art, has been teaching group cycling classes at UVM since her sophomore year.

“I started taking spinning classes because I’m a big runner and was training for a half marathon at the time. I needed something to balance out my running, was easy on my knees and a good way to cross-train,” Williamson said, “I heard good things about spinning and fell in love with it right away.”

For some people, taking their first spinning class can be intimidating because of all the bikes, people, loud music and energetic instructors, she said.

“You just have to give it another shot. It’s usually easier the second time for a lot of people,” Williamson said.

She said her advice to those who are brand new to the class is to simply just try it, and ask the instructor for help getting set up on the bike and do your best during the class.

“Cycling is all about modifying resistance and position to what works best for you,” Williamson said.

Williamson teaches her class on Mondays from 5:15 p.m. to 6:15 p.m., and twice on Wednesdays, from 12:05 p.m. to 12:55 p.m. and 6:45 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

She said she recommends students interested in purchasing an unlimited class pass to buy it for a semester, which is $65. A full academic year pass is $130.

For students interested in receiving instructor certification, the Campus Rec website contains the specific requirements for each group fitness class, which typically includes a fee and a certain number of training hours. Instructor training is hosted at Patrick Gym.