SSC moves from desk to Davis Center

After the Davis Center bid farewell to Growing Vermont, the Ski and Snowboard Club (SSC) was chosen to take over the space last spring.

The SSC, founded in 2003, moved from a desk in the SGA Galaxy on the fourth floor, which they’ve occupied for the past couple of years.

The desk was nice and definitely a good place to start, Tucker Nixon, who has been president of the club for two years, said. But this being the club’s tenth year, we really wanted to do something bigger.

We really were eyeing a spot, Nixon said. When we found out that this space was open and available for student use, we got really excited and immediately applied.

The space was intended for a vendor or a student group. Each party interested had to fill out an application.

What we provided students was definitely a big factor in the application process, Nixon said.

The winner was chosen and notified at the end of last school year in the middle of finals week. The contract agreement was finalized during summer vacation and the space was vacant June 1.

Although Nixon spent the summer at home in Maine, he came up almost every other weekend to plan out the space with other officers.

The first couple of meetings we worked on layout, Nixon said. Looking around now, it is not totally what we had planned but I really like the way it worked out.

The club says they still have a couple of weeks until the space can be 100 percent functional.

Nixon is spearheading the operation. The renovations began a week before the fall semester started when Nixon came up to strip, prime and paint the walls.

ÒWe could have hired out but that would have killed our whole budget so we decided to do most of the work ourselves,Ó Nixon said.

Friends and family donated items such as the wooden desk in the back. And the sign was contracted out to Design Signs in Essex.

The club has a few goals for the new space, including using it as a shop to sell branding merchandise, products from sponsors and discounted season passes.

Getting into the winter months we plan on having a tuning bench for club members to come in and use, Nixon said. This way, people can wax their skis and sharpen their edges.

The club’s headlined sponsors are Burton, Nordica, Alpine Shop and companies such as Ben & JerryÕs and Cabot Cheese show their support as well.

[The sponsors] were all really excited about it, Nixon said.

The members agree with the sponsors.

Their new space is really cool and I’m really excited to be a member because of the deals that they offer, said Taylor Paone, member and tabler for SSC, who will be purchasing a Stowe pass this year.

The club anticipates membership growth as well. Although they have more than 2,500 likes on their Facebook page, Nixon has set a goal to get 2,000 members officially in the club.

I’m really excited to see what’s in store, Nixon said. The past couple of years have been pretty stagnant around 1,800 members.

A one-year membership costs $20 and includes a t-shirt, card and member benefits (things such as discounted season passes).

I don’t know if that’s going to be an immediate response to the space but I’m hoping within the next couple of years to meet that goal, he said.

The club sees a drop off in membership when upperclassmen move off campus.

We really worked hard this summer to discuss some of the membership perks we can offer for people who live off campus, Nixon said. Freshman and sophomores seem to be really excited about the free transportation to the mountain.