Students get to know UVM’s provost

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students get to know UVM’s provost

UVM’s provost holds many titles. 

Apart from being chief academic officer, David Rosowsky is also the University’s chief “optimism” officer, a father, a cheerleader of UVM and a Twitter fanatic.  “I love when students follow me on Twitter; it’s great fun,” Rosowsky said. 

The Vermont Cynic (VC): What is a Provost and what are your responsibilities?

David Rosowsky (DR): Provost of the university traditionally is the chief academic officer, so responsibility for the quality and the integrity of the entire academic enterprise of the university. I work very closely with the deans, who in turn work closely with the department chairs to make sure that our academic programs are high quality. In the modern university, the provost is often the senior vice president of the institution. 

I’ve been granted a few other titles like “chief optimism officer” and cheerleader-in-chief of the University of Vermont, and I wear both of those titles with great honor.  So a lot of what I do is celebrate the accomplishments and achievements of our faculty and our staff and our students. 

VC: What do you enjoy most about UVM?

DR: Where to begin? I love being in the state of Vermont. I think there is something quite magical about being at a great, public comprehensive research university located in the state.  A day doesn’t go by that I don’t marvel at what our faculty are doing here at the University, for our students, for our community and for the state. 

VC: Do you have any advice for the incoming class?

DR: Look around you at all the opportunities you are going to have because there are going to be many and they’re going to come at you fast. Be purposeful about what you choose to do, not only inside the classroom, but also with your time outside the classroom.  That time is really important to this process of learning and discovery and growth. Making smart decisions maximizes the value of your four years. 

VC: Is there something you would have like to know before coming to college?

DR: I think I would have liked to know that there are many, many, many people at the University that will help you find your way and that will help you achieve success. 

VC: What do you do in your spare time?

DR: Did I mention my 8 and 10-year-old? We do a lot of their activities. I help to coach my son’s little league team.  My wife and I love to hike and be outdoors. We’re huge fans of sports, so we’re frequently seen at UVM athletic events. My wife and I both enjoy running and swimming and biking. We’ve had no problem in Vermont — we did not have a day this crazy winter that we weren’t able to be outside running. You just have to dress for the part, that’s it. 

VC: Is there anything else you would like to add about yourself or something you want to say to the incoming class?

DR: Introduce yourself to me on campus. It’s not easy in my schedule or my day for me to meet a lot of students and yet, I got into this business because I care so much about teaching and higher education. 

I care because I believe in what we do in the University, and I love to talk to students. So just say hi, let me know what you’re studying, tell me a little about yourself.