Students personalize dorm rooms to feel like home

Stephanie Hodel, Cynic Correspondent

Upon arrival at UVM, students are housed in some form of a 12-by-15 foot box. The difference between concrete and plaster walls is not what makes those boxes feel special – it’s the decor.

Through decorating, students can express themselves and bring out their unique styles in one of their most frequently-visited locations: their dorms.

Whether that be the purchase of a rapidly-trending salt rock lamp from Amazon.com, a geometric-patterned carpet from Ikea or posters from RedBubble is completely up to the student.

“Shout out to Society6 because that’s where all our tapestries come from,” sophomore Aryanna Ramsaran said.

Ramsaran and her roommate have four tapestries hanging in their room. She cited brands like Bed Bath & Beyond and Target when asked where she gets dorm accessories – come on, Vermont, let’s get a Target up in here.

Sophomore Carolyn Bittner has a room that looks like a post straight off of Pinterest. On her walls you can find an orchid purple mandala tapestry surrounded by twinkling fairy lights that all perfectly match her bedding.

“I love my tapestry because it’s big and covers half the wall- you’ve only got to buy one, whereas with posters you have to buy, like, 10,” Bittner said.

On another wall you can find twine hung up in five rows, each dangling photographs clipped on with colorful miniature clothes pins. Reminded of home, “I like to hang up photos of my friends and family,” she said.

Most of the decorating students do enhances their feeling of comfort in the space and its likeness to home. Such an important endeavour sometimes calls for a little bending of the rules.

Candles to achieve their favorite aroma, tapestries and lights hanging closer than 6 inches to the ceiling for the perfect ambiance, the duct tape holding that poster up on the wall are all carefully hidden away for monthly room inspection.

But to the students, it’s worth the hassle to make the space their own.  

“I decorate so I don’t feel like I’m living in a prison cell and I’m more comfortable when there are pictures of my cat around,” sophomore Rachel Byrd said.