Students react to GMO label law

Vermont residents are getting to know their food a bit better — it’s the law.

Gov. Peter Shumlin signed a genetically modified organism labeling law May 8, 2014, the first statewide GMO law in the nation, according to ruralvermont.org.

The bill will force food manufacturers to label products that have been genetically engineered starting July 2016, according to CNN.com.

There has been resistance to this law, including a hearing Jan. 7 at the federal district court in Burlington where “the first oral arguments were heard in Grocery Manufacturers Association v. Sorrell,” according to the Vermont Right to Know GMOs website.

This case centers around a suit that was filed by the Grocery Manufacturers Association against the state of Vermont for passing the law, according to the website.

The lawsuit claims that Act 120, the GMO labeling law’s official name, will not advance public health and safety, according to USA Today.

The bill was defended by Vermont Attorney General Bill Sorrell, according to ruralvermont.org.

The Vermont Right To Know GMOs Coalition argues that GMO labeling will provide consumers with all the information they need to know about their food, according to their website.

Hayden Pochop, Junior

“There should be some sort of uniform labeling system that people can easily interpret. I think businesses would be hesitant because it is a new movement and they don’t know how consumers will re- act, but if they had a uniform labeling system, it would be a good middle ground for businesses and consumers.”

Charlotte Fitterman, First-year

“I don’t get why you would be against [GMO labels]. I think people should know what they’re eating. It’s their body.”

Alli O’Connor, Sophomore

“I think everyone should have the right to know whether their food has been genetically modified or not. People should also be able to make their own decision if they want to eat foods containing GMOs.”

Stephen Pintauro, Professor of Nutrition and Food Science

“On one hand, I believe consumers should generally be provided with whatever information they need or want when making purchasing decisions. On the other hand, the purpose of any food labeling regulation is to help consumers make informed decisions. Sometimes, a food labeling requirement can actually interfere with this ability.”