Filed under Campus Life, Life

Students voice opinions on Springfest performers

The 2015 SpringFest performers have been announced.

The Disco Biscuits are a jam band from Philadelphia and AlunaGeorge are an electronic music duo from London, according to their respective websites.

“I’m very disappointed,” sophomore Kaeli Mace said.

The Disco Biscuits are a jam band from Philadelphia and AlunaGeorge are an electronic music duo from London, according to their respective websites. But not all students seem to be enthusiastic about the choices made by the UVM Program Board.

The main complaint seems to be that neither band is especially well-known, and some students said they have never heard of either group.

“I thought it would be someone bigger,” first-year Sarah Cabot-Miller said.

Junior Teresa Dotson said the musical lineup is “underwhelming.” “They’re not bands that will appeal to a wide audience and they won’t compel people to go,” she said.

UMass-Amherst is bringing in rapper Hoodie Allen and the University of New Hampshire will host the rapper Logic, according to the school’s websites. However, the lack of name recognition for UVM’s SpringFest does not seem to bother some students.

“People don’t like it because The Disco Biscuits and AlunaGeorge are different,” junior Jessie D’Amelio said. “I think it’s fun to have someone less well-known.

Senior Benjamin Gelb said he thinks the performers are “a good idea.”

“I haven’t heard too much of either of them, but I have heard of both,” he said.

First-year Michael Brewer said that neither of the bands are his style but he is “still going to go to SpringFest.”

Last year’s SpringFest featured the hip-hop group Atmosphere, and the 2013 SpringFest brought in rock band MGMT.

Despite the different opinions and the bands not being as well-known as some students may have hoped, there are still many students who appear to be looking forward to the performance.

“I’m super excited for both of the bands,” sophomore Katherine Driscoll said.

“When we choose artists to play SpringFest, we take popularity, performance quality, and our budget into consideration. The Disco Biscuits have a strong following in the Burlington community and AlunaGeorge is a talented up-and-coming singer/producer duo out of the UK,” said the UPB concert committee.

“Together, we hope that these artists will provide students with a fun day of live music and entertainment.”