Study Abroad: a new adventure is about to begin

In exactly five days I will be boarding a plane headed for England.

For the next three months, I will be in Newcastle, England, studying, exploring, learning, and drinking (hello, drinking age of 18).

It’s a little nerve-wracking.

For three months, I will be in another country, far away from friends, family and from everything that is familiar to me.

I will be honest; I’m definitely a homebody. But going away will make being home that much sweeter.

And besides, I picked Newcastle because it reminded me of home.

Newcastle is home to many colleges, they speak English, and there is so much going on on-campus and in town that I know I will find something to do while I’m there.

“Newcastle’s flashier claim to fame is nightlife,” according to tripadvisor.com. “Throw in a heap of premium restaurants serving foods from all over the world and it’s no wonder young partiers choose to blow their hard-earned (or not-so-hard-earned) cash in Newcastle.”

See? It’s almost the British version of Burlington. Except bigger. And older. And a lot closer to Scotland.

Also, the full name of the city is Newcastle-Upon-Tyne. That’s the fanciest city name I’ve ever heard.

So while I’m worried about how real the packing struggle is, or where I’m going to find shampoo in Newcastle, where my classes are going to be, what classes I’m going to take, I’m ready for this new adventure.

Meanwhile, all of you back at UVM are probably worried about whether or not you can drop that math class and still graduate.

Or you may be wondering how to get across campus with so much construction.

And you are probably adjusting to life living with brand new people.

We are both experiencing new things.

But know that we are about to embark on an amazing adventure, together.