The historic side of campus

Whether you’ve been around campus for years or simply weeks, you’ve probably picked up on the fact that most of campus has an aged feeling to it. Central campus is dominated by older architecture and, let’s face it, your dorm might even border on pre-historic.

However, UVM’s campus isn’t just packÂing an aged, brick fa?¤ade; it possesses quite the history to back up its illustrious surface.

We’ve all made the rounds through CenÂtral campus to classes in Williams, Old Mill and the numerous other buildings on campus. Sure, you’ve been in them, but have you ever actually looked at them in detail? Probably not. Have you ever wondered about their beginnings? Let’s assume no.

Odds are you don’t know where the boulder statue in front of Old Mill came from. You’ve probably never noticed the gargoyle-esque figures on the side of Billings. Want some answers and insight into the background of UVM? It’s going to require a little effort.

Shake off the bad life choices from the previous night and get yourself to Ira Allen’s statue on the green at 9 a.m. on Saturday. Meet your guide, William Averyt, and begin to uncover the secrets of UVM’s history.

The tour runs every Saturday and lasts two hours while delivering an unexpected amount of historical knowledge. In the short two hours, you’ll learn some facts about our seemingly humble campus that might surprise you, even if you’ve spent a good four years exploring it.

Averyt will inform you that famous philosopher John Dewey is buried somewhere on campus and that Ira Allen, brother of Ethan Allen, founded the University in 1791.

You’ll also discover that Royall Tyler, namesake of the theater department’s home, was a bit of an unconventional troublemaker and was once engaged to John Adams’ daughter.

While juicy tidbits about past founders’ lives and party tendencies are included, the tour also gives insight to the founders’ deep roots in the formation of our country. Many of the founders, such as Fredrick Billings, contributed to the growth of our nation. Billings was heavily involved in the construction of the cross-country railroad.

One thing was greatly lacking from the tour however; the presence of other students. So drag yourself out of bed, grab a coffee to alert your senses and get the lowdown on UVM’s historical background. It’s more than worth the two hours.