The king of the mountain(s)

Going to school at the University of Vermont, there are plenty of mountains to choose from to ski or snowboard. Many students come to UVM for the numerous ski mountains to choose from locally. Each fall, students who ski and snowboard have to make the decision of what mountain to buy their season pass for. While many students don’t buy a pass, it can be a tough decision for the ones that do.  Through the Ski and Snowboard Club (SSC), students are able to buy season passes for their favorite mountain after making the difficult decision of where to go. Of course, the skiers and snowboarders do not have to buy a season pass and can buy a day pass each time they choose to go to the mountain.  For the coming 2010-2011 season, SSC has already sold a total of around 1,717 passes. The passes that they have sold are for: Jay Peak, Mad River Glen, Bolton Valley, Stowe, Sugarbush and Killington, SSC member Jeremy Hulsey said. According to Hulsey, the most passes sold for the coming ski season were for Stowe Mountain, amounting to a total of 898 passes.  Coming in second was the Triple Major, with around 700 passes. The pass for Jay Peak, Mad River Glen and Bolton Valley are combined in one pass called the Triple Major, which can be used at all three of the mountains. Most people that buy the Triple Major are skiers, as Mad River Glen does not allow snowboarders, according to Hulsey. The third-most passes sold goes to Sugarbush, with 118 students buying a pass for this mountain, according to Hulsey. Killington came in last for the amount of passes sold, with only one student purchasing a pass through SSC this season, according to Hulsey.  Stowe: “Stowe is my favorite mountain because its close and easy to get to and the conditions are usually pretty good. Most of my friends have passes for Stowe, so it’s fun to go with them.” -Isaac Geltzer Jay Peak: “Everyone who works there is super laid back and nice and just wants to chill and ski and have a good time. I’m probably biased since I grew up skiing there, but Jay definitely gets the most snow in the east, has the best glades, and is affordable. From UVM the drive is a little bit longer than the drive to Stowe or Smugg’s, but it’s worth it.” — Lianne Early, Junior Bolton Valley “Although Bolton isn’t as big as the other mountains, it still gets the job done.” — Evan Perry, Junior Mad River Glen: “Mad River Glen is definitely my favorite mountain. It’s only for good skiers because they don’t groom, so you find out the conditions when you get there. It’s not the easiest if you’re not an experienced skier, but it’s the most fun.” Sugarbush: “I like Sugarbush because I like having the option of going to the two mountains. The conditions are usually excellent.” — Jeff Ulsh, Junior Sugarbush: “I like Sugarbush because I like having the option of going to the two mountains. The conditions are usually excellent.” — Jeff Ulsh, Junior