The pill is one option of many

The Dapper Vagina

Sarah Heft, Staff Writer

What do pills, patches, shots, implants, and rings all have in common? They’re all forms of hormonal birth control women use everyday and for a variety of reasons.

Some women use hormonal birth control to control acne, to manage moods, regulate periods and yes, have baby-free sex.

Birth control sounds like a no brainer, especially now that the Affordable Care Act requires insurance to cover birth control with no co pay.

Although the advent of the pill played a big role in women’s advancement in the workplace and increased their bodily autonomy and sexual empowerment, I am not ready to refill my prescription just yet.

I first started hormonal birth control when I was in high school to “regulate my period,”  when in reality I just wanted it so I could have sex with my boyfriend. Regardless I got a prescription and was on my way to total sexual empowerment.

To my dismay I found out that not all birth control pills work the same and you have to keep trying different pills until you find one that works for you.

For about six months I suffered through all the normal side effects of birth control such as sore boobs, acne, fatigue, and even heavier periods than before.

It seemed that as soon I had switched pills and got one side effect under control, another one would pop up.

After about eight months and four different pills I finally found one that worked for me, and by that time my boyfriend and I were over.

In college I continued using the pill. It wasn’t until sophomore year that I decided to come off of them.

Without the motivation of a consistent sexual partner, I felt like there wasn’t really a point and I decided to stop taking them.

But once I stopped taking the hormones, my periods came back, and they came back with avengence.

My face resembled a pizza, my breasts were sore and I bled for a month straight. My body had become so accustomed to taking the synthetic hormones, it became dependant and all of a sudden I was in withdrawal.

After three weeks, I couldn’t take it anymore, and I got back on the pill.

Although my prescription was meant to empower me and give me sexual autonomy, I felt like a slave to my pills.

I had to take them to function normally, all of a sudden taking the pills stopped becoming a true choice for me and more of a necessity.

After three more months I came to the tough conclusion that I needed to relearn my natural cycle.

Hormonal birth control is a great option for many people, however it is not the only option.

Condoms, diaphragms, spermicides, and sponges are all other ways to prevent pregnancy without having to alter your body with hormones.

Anyone looking into any method of birth control can find resources at Planned Parenthood or the UVM student health center.

1 Comment

One Response to “The pill is one option of many”

1. Sam on October 9th, 2017 10:53 am

Get something new that works. One simple step that works to keep acne and acne scars away.
    Niacinamide (aka Niapads ®) face pads help keep acne away by scrubbing open clogged pores, oily residues and exfoliation. Feel a pimple coming? Just wet a pad, place it on the pimple and remove it when dry. Sit back and watch pimple disappear. Works on body acne too.
    These pads also help reduce skin hyperpigmentation (acne scars). Try it and see the difference.

The pill is one option of many