The weekly health corner

Eat smart to be smart this semester. As studying becomes more intense, donÕt rely on coffee alone to keep you on track. There are many alternative options to caffeine that will boost brain power.

Blueberries

A study at Tufts University suggests that consumption of blueberries may improve memory, learning capacity and motor skills. It suggests that blueberries may be the number one brain food due to their powerful antioxidants.

Fish

According to research from Rhode Island HospitalÕs Disease and Memory Disorders Center, fish oil may be associated with larger brain volume in the cerebral cortex and hippocampus regions. These regions are important for memory and thinking.

Nuts

Vitamin E found in nuts may help prevent brain aging and keep you sharp on your toes for your whole life. Eat an ounce of walnuts, Brazilian nuts or hazelnuts each day to keep you from going nuts!

Avocado

Rich in fat-soluble vitamins and monounsaturated fat, this fruit plays a role in lowering cholesterol. According to the American Heart Association, replacing saturated fat and trans fat found in animal products with monounsaturated fat may help lower ÒbadÓ cholesterol.

Whole Grains

Foods high in fiber may reduce the risk of heart disease. Eating oatmeal, whole grain bread and brown rice may help lower cholesterol and lead to healthy blood flow. A healthier heart can nourish the brain and increase brain activity.