Filed under Life, Life Teaser

University planning to dance for a cause

Every 
year, around 13,500 children in the U.S. are diagnosed with cancer.

Thirty-five thousand are currently in treatment, and 25 percent of all those diagnosed will die, according to kidsvcancer.org.

UVM Rallython is working to change these statistics, one dance party at a time.

Hosted by UVM’s Greek life, the Rallython will take place Feb. 20 in the Davis Center. The event will feature DJ’s, performances, speeches and a ceremony to “recognize everyone we dance for,” said sophomore Claire Schwaegler, chair of marketing for the event.

Rallython is a year long fundraiser that ends with a 12-hour dance marathon, according to the UVM Greek life website.

Following last year’s Rallython, which raised $40,000 for the B+ Foun- dation, this year’s 12-hour dance marathon is partnered with Children’s Miracle Network.

“Rallython is bringing the campus together with the medical center in a way it hasn’t before,” Schwaegler said.

“This is an opportunity to appreciate that this is such a bigger community than our University alone, and that there are so many more people present than just students,” she said.

For the first time, all of the funds will be going to the Children Hospital at UVM Medical Center, Schwaegler said.

The Children’s Miracle Network was created in 1983 and has raised over $5 billion for 170 hospitals across the U.S. and Canada, according to their website.

“Children’s Miracle Network gives money to the hospital to use as they see fit,” Schwaegler said. “With the last donation, the hospital was able to buy top of the line neonatal intensive care beds for premature babies.”

First-year Hannah Dahlin said she thinks the event is for a good cause. “And dance marathons seem pretty fun,” Dahlin said.

“I got my roommates and other people on my floor involved. We named ourselves the Stars Hollow Dancers because the only other dance marathon we’ve ever seen was on Gilmore Girls,” she said.

A champion is named every year and becomes the face for the millions of children treated at Children’s Miracle Network hospitals and the vital work the network does, according to the website.

Vermont’s 2015 champion, eight-year-old Noah, along with last year’s champion Danielle, will be attending Rallython to voice their appreciation, Schwaegler said.

Noah was born with VAC- TERL association, which has forced him to undergo 20 surgeries.

All but five of those surgeries have been at the Children’s Hospital, according to the Rallython Facebook page.

“One of our co-presidents has been battling cancer off and on since she was a child and was recently re- diagnosed. She’s been at the UVM Children’s Hospital receiving treatment, so it’s a very near and dear cause to us,” Schwaegler said.

Links to register for the event can be found on the Rallython Facebook, Twitter or UVM pages.

Students can sign up individually or as a team to fundraise.