Update: Greek Life

Greetings to the UVM Campus Community from the UVM Greek community. The Greek community at UVM consists of seven fraternities and five sororities.

Soon, the Greek Community will begin recruitment, which is a process for non-members to learn about our fraternities and sororities. Take advantage of the opportunity to learn about our Greek community, who we are, and what we do. What you have seen on TV or in the movies is not what we are or what we are about.

A classmate or roommate of your’s may already be a member of one of our chapters; talk to them about getting involved. Being a member of the Greek community is an excellent opportunity for you to learn leadership skills that will serve you well and last a lifetime. There are all kinds of officer positions within each chapter.

You may learn out of a book in the classroom, but you will learn by doing in a fraternity or sorority. Our chapter’s members are very involved in athletics and other campus organizations.

In addition, they work hard at their scholarship and give countless hours of their time to non-profit organizations, for which they raise much-needed funds. Also, our members volunteer their time in other capacities to help those in the greater Burlington community.

You may make some good friends while at UVM. In addition, the friends you make in a sorority or fraternity will last a lifetime. Soon, you will see your fellow students on campus proudly wearing their Greek letters on their hats or shirts. Stop them. Talk to them. Get to know them. Join them.

This article is written on behalf of the Greek Alumni Advisory Council. We are the alumni advisors of our respective UVM fraternities and sororities.

We support our undergraduate brothers and sisters in involved in the Greek system, and we are very proud of their efforts and accomplishments on the UVM campus.

Below is the women’s Fall 2004 Recruitment information.

1. Mon-Fri, September 6-10, Rush Info Sessions/TablesCook Commons 11am-2pm and 5-7 pmHarry Millis DH 5-7pmSimpson DH 5-7pm

2. Sunday Sept 12th, Recruitment Kick-offNorth Lounge, Billings5-6pm

3. Tuesday Sept 14th1st Party7:30 pm parties

4. Friday, September 17th2nd party-garden party5 pm parties

5. Saturday Sept 18th3rd party-theme party9am Rushees check in at billings11am chapter house inspections12pm parties

6. Sunday Sept 19thPreference Party9am Rushees check in at Billings11am chapter house inspections12pm parties

Greek Houses at UVM: Alpha Gamma RhoAlpha Delta PiAlpha Epsilon PiAlpha Chi OmegaDelta Delta DeltaKappa Alpha ThetaLambda IotaPi Beta PhiPi Kappa AlphaSigma PhiSigma Phi EpsilonPhi Gamma Delta (Fiji)Phi Delta Theta

Laurence Jost is the President of the Greek Alumni Advisory Council. He is also a member of Alpha Gamma Rho Fraternity and is the President of their Alumni Association.

Please Email Chris Schall at [email protected] for more information on Greek Life.