Uplifting campaign to inspire students

?

Dan Savage, founder of “It Gets Better,” will be at UVM April 19 sharing his project’s message of happiness and hope with students and community members. 

“It Gets Better” is an international campaign started in September 2010 in response to young teens taking their lives after being bullied, according to itgetsbetter.org.

The project offers a personal way for supporters to tell LGBTQA teens their lives can improve by having supporters submit inspirational videos. Its ultimate goal is to show LGBTQA youth the potential and positivity of their lives, according to the website.

Savage will give a speech, which will be followed by a discussion and book signing.

The LGBTQA Center at UVM put the event together to inspire students in their celebration of LGBTQA April.

While the event is an important step in promoting anti-bullying and tolerance, John Mejia, the Education Outreach professional of the LGBTQA Center, reminds people that it is vital to continue to spread awareness.

“This event is an important opportunity to continue the conversation within our community about inclusion, social justice and bullying,” Mejia said. “But, like any important conversation, the issues are complex and nuanced and so no single event or personality can encapsulate them all.”

One student was curious about the campaign and its message.

“It sounds interesting – the message of positivity is an important one to spread,” sophomore Jason Sebo said. 

For more information on the It Gets Better Campaign, visit Itgetsbetter.org.