Filed under Life

UVM Adds New ‘Business of Craft Beer’ Class

More craft beers may be on the horizon for Burlington thanks to a new online course coming to UVM next semester.

UVM and the Vermont Brewers Association are collaborating to start the Business of Craft Beer professional certificate program. <a href="https://www.vtcynic.com/?s=MARISA+ROSENTHAL" target="_blank">PHOTO ILLUSTRATION BY MARISA ROSENTHAL</a>

UVM and the Vermont Brewers Association are collaborating to start the Business of Craft Beer professional certificate program. PHOTO ILLUSTRATION BY MARISA ROSENTHAL

The Business of Craft Beer professional certificate program is a 12-20 week program starting February 2016 and is a collaboration between UVM and the Vermont Brewers Association, according to the program’s website.

“While the entire beer industry has been in decline in recent years, craft beer nationally is growing rapidly,” said Greg Dunkling, Craft Beer Program developer.

“The Business of Craft Beer Certificate offers people who are eager to enter this exciting growth industry an opportunity to learn from industry experts, solve real industry challenges through case studies and then explore an internship opportunity,” Dunkling said.

Kurt Staudter is a member of the Vermont Brewers Association and said Dunkling created the partnership between UVM and the VBA.

“Vermont is the epicenter of the craft beer movement, and there is no doubt that our land grant college has a role to play in our continued success,”  Staudter said.      

The course will be structured around three career “doorways,” including digital marketing, sales and business operation, he said.

“Craft beer brewing sounds like a pretty specific business,” junior Eleanor Besade said. “I feel like you would still have to learn a lot outside of regular business classes.”

UVM also offers a course titled “What’s Brewing in Food Science?”

The course uses the process of brewing beer as a way to examine personal food choices and science, according to the  UVM website.

More information about the certificate program can be found on UVM’s website.